Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Got A Fever....

...and the only perscription is more....sports! I know I am not alone, I see plenty of other women when I go to games, but I really wish more women would give sports a chance. Sports doesn't have to be completely dominated by testosterone, right?

My mother-in-law says that I am the "jockiest" girl she's ever met, which I take as a compliment! I pride myself on being a girl who really enjoys sports. My love of sports comes from my dad, and it began with baseball, when the Orioles were slightly less pathetic than they are now. I can remember watching games with him on long summer nights, season after season. Then I graduated to hockey, first the Skipjacks then the Capitals. Finally, when Baltimore got a team back, I added the Ravens and football to my repertoire (no chance we were going to root for the Skins!) I still do plenty of "girlie" things too...like cooking, crafts and spending an embarassing amount of time catching up on celebrity gossip...well, you get the picture.

I feel like most women look at me strange if the conversation turns to sports and I blurt out something like "I love everything hockey!" I already know what they think when they wrinkle up their nose at me! I often wonder if people think it's weird when a woman starts spouting out stats, standings and specific plays from last night's game.

Sports is a big part of my life, and my family's life too. I take pride in my team when they win, I am crushed when the lose, and I miss them during the off season. Because I want my daughter to learn and love sports as I do, I am please to announce that she will be attending her first Caps game time weekend. She is only 5 years old and knows just about every player on the team by name and number. She'll be the one in the Backstrom jersey! I am looking forward to it, and hope that I can instill in her the same passion for sports that my dad passed to me.

I guess my point is, just give it a chance, Ladies! It's actually quite fun and entertaining. And on a side note, guys, sporting events are a great place to meet ladies! Think about it, you have something in common already! That kind of makes that ice-breaking conversation easy.

GO CAPS! GO RAVENS! GO O's! and GO GIRLS!

No comments:

Post a Comment