Monday, February 21, 2011

From Generation to Generation

The other night, with one of my good pals and Baltimore enthusiasts, Tristan Deppe, I watched one of the better and more moving documentaries I have ever seen. "The Band That Wouldn't Die". This is an ESPN 30 for 30 doc which highlights the band behind the team that left in 1984. Now, by my estimation, all of us writing for this blog were not alive when the Mayflower vans moved in and moved out in the middle of the night in 1984, when thousands of die hard fans woke up on the worst March 29th ever in the history of Baltimore to see that their beloved Colts were gone, just simply gone. So becuase none of us were really alive to exerience this tragedy, and yes it was a tragedy, its obviously hard to know what that night meant and what that team meant. All I have ever heard my whole life is stories of the Colts. Johnny U, the greatest game every played...all of these things are just mere legends to me and honestly it sucks to realize that. I am happy for my own era and the times that have been in Baltimore sports, but I still very much feel bummed out that I couldn't have experienced what was. Therefore, I feel it is very important to try to preserve this history by keeping it in our minds that this proud franchise was in fact one of the realest things to so many people in Baltimore. It was something that Baltimoreans could hang their hat on, something that defined them, something that they could be proud of, something that brought people together. I think about my Grandfather and what the Colts meant to him and I feel a particular heart felt connection with him just in knowing the passion and love he had for this team which was way more than just a sports team. Culture, pride and good will. All of these things were shaped and driven by one sports team for many people.

Sports have changed over the years and I believe that back in the days of the Colts and Johnny U in particular, sports were purer than ever. The players knew the community and were tangible, intimate and personal leaders in the city and the surrounding communities. It wasn't necessarly about fame, spotlight and fortune, but it was probably more about hard work, competitiveness and a still strong understanding of what the real world is; work ethic, selflessness, and heart. I miss the hell out of the Colts and I never even knew them. To all who did know them, I hope you don't forget what they meant and I will personally try to do my best to keep them alive.


The Baltimore Colts Fight Song


Let's go you Baltimore Colts
And put that ball across the line,
So, drive on you Baltimore Colts -
Go in and strike like lightning bolts,
Fight, fight, fight,
Rear up you Colts and let's fight -
Crash through and show them your might -
For Baltimore and Maryland -
You will march on to victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment