Monday, March 28, 2011

Im Back

Hola fellow bloggers. I am back from my trip to Puerto Rico. Yes I am mentioning that to make you feel jealous. It was wonderful. There are currently three things on my mind I would like to blog about. Here it goes:

The Masters Commercials
Has anyone seen the masters commerials this year? They used to be just Jim Nance sentimentally saying that it was a "tradition unlike any other" which was a little annoying but good enough. Well, if you havent seen the new commercials, they involve some guy speaking as if he is the course himself, like the golf course, the green grass and all, is talking to us and is inviting the greatest golfers to come and play on "himself" I guess. What the hell? Why? I think I tend to be someone who gets annoyed at commercials a lot more than others but seriously, its the Masters man. You dont have to come up with some gimmick to pump up the Masters. Its the Masters for God's sake. Just say that the Masters is going to be happening soon. Its a big enough of a deal. Its the freakin Masters. Its classic. Ok moving on....

Final Orioles Cuts
The Final cuts were made to the Orioles squad today. For a lot of us who are fans, this news comes just simply as news we may or may not be interested in. But I would like to recognize the fact that these are guys who are fighting for a job and essentially got fired. I dont want to make too big of a deal about it, but for these guys, and these minor league deals they have been working off of, they are making little money so I guess just wanted to recognize that. Whether its a sport or not, they got fired from their job. On to the last thing...

Frank Robinson

During my travels to and fro from Puerto Rico, I was able to get some solid reading in. I have been working on quite possibly the most interesting book I have ever read given to me by the one BWAL, Orioles Essentials. The book details all the things you need to know about the Orioles organization throughout the years. One thing I found to be quite fun to read was concerning Frank Robinson and the most impressive set of years the O's have ever turned in. Frank Robinson, most definitely one of the 10 best baseball players ever, was traded to the O's after the 1965 season from the Reds because the GM of the Reds claimed that Frank was "an old 30 year old and didnt have much left in him". Well, do you want to know what Frank and the O's did in 1966? They won the world series and Frank hit 49 home runs, had .316 batting average, drove in 122 runs and was named the MVP. Oh yeah, and during the 6 years that Frank was an Oriole, the O's won the AL penant 4 times and won the world series 2 times. Frank never hit less than 30 home runs and never hit below a .300 batting average. Washed up player eh? Anyway, we unfortunately traded Frank after the 1971 season, but although he played for 21 years, Frank is on record saying that he feels his career is and should be identified by the 6 years he had with the O's.

Adios

The next time you will hear from younger brother Alex will be 3 games into the O's 2011 season. LETS GO O'S!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment