Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Canada Can Hold its Head up High



For those of you that are unaware, the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup is currently going on in India. Canada is not a powerhouse by any means of the word in the sport of cricket. (But hey, at least they have a team that made it, unlike the US.) Canada finally got its first win of this world cup, and only the country’s second in its entire time of competing in the 50-over one-day format.



I have no idea how the scoring happens or any of the rules. Why am I writing this you might ask? Well, I have two co-workers from the West Indies who live and breath cricket. They discuss the matches daily, and although I have a keen ear for sports, I am still not exactly sure of any of the rules. I am trying to learn, so if any out there can help me, I would be more then happy. Here are some of the highlights from the match:




According to Matthew Burrows of straight.com :

"The Kenyans limped to 198 from their full 50 overs, leaving Canada a tricky run chase. Ruvindu Gunasekera was stumped by Ouma off the bowling of James Ngoche for 18, which still left Canada in the tricky spot of being 48 for 3.

Against Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe earlier in the tournament (still in its group stages), Canada folded with the bat. Not so this time, as Bagai and Jimmy Hansra (70) put on 123 for the fourth wicket.

In the end it was more than enough to ensure Canada exits this tournament with some pride intact."

See what I mean, who understands that?

1 comment: