Monday, March 7, 2011

America's Game

This weekend I watched a fair share of college lacrosse. I particularly watched the Virginia vs. Syracuse game which featured the number 1 and 2 teams in the nation. Syracuse, the number one team, won the game.

Anyway, I was reminded of the fact while watching the game that there is a native American who plays for Syracuse. I heard of the guy and he was as good as advertised. It got me thinking about the history of the United States of America and how the native Americans play into that. I took a history course here at the University of Maryland which went into pretty good detail about the founding years of the states and how the Indians were dealt with then. Of course, this is history, which means there are multiple perspectives on the issue. I will say though that throughout the course I felt I got a very honest idea of what happened between the USA and the Indians. Essentially, that part of our history does not paint the United States as all that great of people. While I realize that this blog may not be strictly athletic, I just felt the need to mention this subject for all the think about. The USA for lack of better terms treated the Indians terribly and stole their land. Its funny because Thanksgiving portrays the whole interaction as very peaceful, but its closer to the truth to say that the relationship between the colonists and the Indians was very tumultuous and characterized by ill will. Today, native Americans still exist but they still continue to feel the side affects of the way they were treated as many of them still live in poverty.

So just some perspective I guess. I know I want to respect native Americans because they never got respect like they should have. I dont know any native Americans but I do know their sport, Lacrosse, and I intend on at least respecting that.

Some former CHC players to look out for from various teams in NCAA lacrosse.

Chris Lightner - Johns Hopkins defense
Phil Castranova- Johns Hopkins midfield
Patrick Fanshaw- Loyola attack
Jason Mcfadden- Georgetown midfield
Mike Brashears - Towson midfield
Greg Dutton - Ohio State starting goalie

No comments:

Post a Comment