Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Circle of Baseball


Good Evening. Last night, I saw the Lion King on Broadway in New York City with my wonderful lady. It was an excellent show that put me in a great mood. A story of a little lion destined to be king and ruler of the pride lands. During the play’s intermission I was thinking to myself, “How is this story going to end?”. Will Scar become the king, starve the country and dissolve the pride lands all while Simba stays in the Jungle slurping pot worms with Timon and Pumba as they sing Hakuna Matata? Well, I was pleasantly surprised to see Simba come to his senses and claim his position as king once Scar plummeted to a terrible death. This was wonderful. This was the ending I hoped to see.


So as I left the building with a big smile on my face and I strolled down Broadway towards Time Square I was soon surrounded by Hyenas and Hyena propaganda (Yankee Fans and Yankee Apparel). Everywhere I turned I saw the Yankee Logo and it reminded me of the 5-0 lead the Orioles recently blew. That was the first tough loss of the season. I felt it was the type of game that the Orioles needed to win. And as the Orioles have dropped 3 straight, you can sense that a loss like that certainly has an effect on a team’s momentum.




Well Orioles Fans, Hakuna Matata, just let it be, no big deal, we’ve had 13 consecutive losing seasons, we’re doing better….




YOU KIDDING ME!!!! CUT THAT HAPPY HORSE MANURE OFF RIGHT NOW!!! Look into the sky, each star you see is a member of the Orioles past, Cal Ripken Jr., Eddie Murray, Earl Weaver, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Jeff Reboulet, Boog Powell, Jim Palmer, etc. etc. They live on! Get fired up and start winning games again. Learn from that blown lead. The play at the plate on the past ball where Pie was thrown out could have been the difference maker. Does that mean Felix should have pummeled Joba to make that run count or Felix could have been a bit more alert to get to the plate a second quicker or arrive with an intensity knowing how important the run is? Absolutely!





Side Note:
The Lion King on Broadway was an amazing show. The plot behind the play and movie is one of intrique and power. The actors, actresses, and music in the play are spectacular. If you find yourself in NYC, suck it up and spend some time with some Yankee fans, and enjoy the Lion King.

No comments:

Post a Comment