Monday, January 24, 2011

Taking Attendance.....Orioles Fans....Here

So here we are again, or at least here I am again, lamenting a Ravens loss in the postseason and hoping for a brighter future while being worried about what type of sporting entertainment will satiate my hunger. It doesn't take long though for visions of black and orange to resurface. Let me make this clear. I was 7 years old the last time the Orioles had a winning season. I was barely old enough to be cognizant of that feat. Actually, I literally only have one memory in my mind of that season and it was that dreadful catch by one Jeffrey Mayer over Tony Tarasco. To put it bluntly, I should have little to cheer for, yet I continue to stay optimistic as many of my peers try to shoot me down. Anyway, this goes out to all of you who wouldn't mind some Orioles Magic to return. 

In 1997, the average attendance at Camden Yards was about  46,000. In 2010, the average was around....well....around 24,000. So what if this past year's attendance was 22,000 less than it was in 1997? In 1997 the O's did finish with a 98-64 record while the 2010 season finished with close to the opposite. But does that  mean the attendance has to be that much lower? Uhh well yeah I guess so. But that's not really my point. My point is this. The phoenix rises from the ashes and the formation of this country's identity dates back to the days of our forefathers where no one expected the colonies to ever amount to what the States are today. Words like redemption, underdog and unlikely are words that we Americans live for. See what I am getting at? I think you do. So jump on that black and orange band wagon and start passionately pulling for our beloved O's as they take on another MLB season. Who knows, maybe instead of constantly checking on updates from Ravens training camp come August, we will instead be finding ourselves in Attendance at Camden Yards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment